Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2022
- UK households are spending more on gardens, plants and flowers than ever before. At £7.6 billion, expenditure in 2021 was up by over £1 billion on 2020, and up 39% on five years ago.
- Nearly 90% of UK homes have a garden; with plants and flowers adorning terraces and internal spaces also popular, it’s an easy way to make your home more appealing.
- The desire for outside space continues to feature highly in home buyer preferences and creating a home office in the garden is increasingly popular.
- Across England and Wales it is estimated that 16% of gardens contain ponds and 54% have one or more trees taller than 3m.
- No Mow May is a national campaign encouraging those with lawns, verges and grasslands to let them grow freely. Mowing less frequently encourages wildlife and boosts populations of bees, butterflies and other pollinators. Source: Dataloft, Statista, C Simionato, Countryfile, ONS, WLGF.org